Saturday, February 9, 2013

Mini garden in the Yard

I will be trying out the square foot gardening method in my raised bed in the back yard.  Do you think I should replace the soil with Mel's mix?  I must admit that part of the attraction to this method is that my maiden name is Bartholomew...no relation to the author of this method though.  The raised bed now gets late afternoon shade, however that is much improved because a large weeping willow was removed to the south of my yard.


I am thinking the girls will enjoy planting using this method because it should be a very productive garden.  What should I do with the improved soil that I will remove from the bed?  I have been adding compost to it for the last five years or so...so it is pretty good soil!


I think I will use the wonderful suggestions from My Square Food Garden to plan the bed.  The current space is 4 by 8 ft which is just about perfect.  I want to grow peas, lettuce, kale, carrots, radishes, a miniature tomato, a pepper and some herbs in this garden.  We will definitely inter-plant with flowers. Maybe a bush cucumber to round things out.

So who has done the square foot method and what did you think of it?  I can see planting fall crops and over winter crops in this spot so I want to be sure that I have great fertility in this bed.  I think onions, leeks, and garlic, along with chard and kale should round out my seasons.  I might even put in some mums to add some color in the fall.

So who has suggestions?  Cautions?  Encouragement?

Thanks for reading!